Author's Note

Last Chapter was short. Sorry about that, ended up having to go and accidentally sent it ahead of time, but hopefully this chapter makes up for it! IMPORTANT: This fanfiction is rated PG-13+

Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next

Behind Olive Eyes - Chapter 5

Luna took out her notebook and held the pen tightly as she waited for the video to begin. It wasn't much later when a man appeared on the screen and began speaking in a monotone voice that made Luna want to hit her head against the wall. She had no idea how the boy next to her could do this those three years he was away from school. Even though the man on the screen looked like a real person, his eyes showed no emotion just like his voice.

It didn't help the poor girl that the man said nothing of interest, nothing she didn't know already. It was almost like he was reading straight out of the textbook, not giving any insight at all or little blurbs about things he felt. If the man was actually paraphrasing, Luna would never have guessed. She was actually glad they didn't have a vocabulary class; she could actually picture the man picking up a dictionary and reading each definition one by one.

Her eyes wandered to the brown haired boy by her side, listening intently and writing down notes. He always loved to learn, though, it showed the most when it came to something scientific, especially if it ended up dealing with astronomy. That was his forte, after all. She felt herself studying him, zoning out everything other than the two of them. Luna couldn't help but watch his facial expressions, as if he was finding what the man was talking about interesting or possibly even boring or odd. She felt her eyes trail down him, even beginning to analyze what he was wearing. She felt her heart beat faster as her stare strengthened, becoming lost in the brown-haired boy.

Luna wanted him to stare back, almost felt like she needed him to, but at the same time, she was afraid of what would happen if his eyes met hers, or how he'd feel about her just looking at him.

At that moment, her first wish was answered, as the boy turned her way and began to speak. "Luna-chan, we ca--" He paused, noticing the girl's facial expression as the color slowly began to change to a shade of pink, becoming darker quickly. "...Are you okay?"

"I-I'm fine." Luna stuttered, looking away. "I had wanted to ask you something, I just forgot what." She quickly made up, scolding herself in her mind. She was too good at making up excuses for her own good and Luna hated to lie, especially to Subaru.

"Well, it's time for lunch, so I wanted to know if there was anything in particular you wanted." Subaru explained, placing his book on the couch and heading toward the kitchen.

"Anything's fine." Luna responded, following him into the kitchen, her book still being held.

As she took a seat, Subaru quickly had the microwave begin preparing two meals, then took a seat across from his blonde-haired friend.

They sat in silence, waiting, before Subaru finally spoke up. "Why didn't you write any notes?"

Luna quickly became nervous, wondering if that meant he did notice her staring. After all, she did much longer than she had planned to or expected. "He didn't say anything I didn't already know." Luna said softly. She wasn't lying, but she managed to keep out the fact that she was looking at someone much more interesting.

"But a lot of the stuff was new..." Subaru started.

"My parents had me read the text books when we first got them so I know the work before we get to it." Luna sighed. This was something nobody really knew before, though, some people suspected something similar.

Subaru didn't know what to say, but Luna seemed to get that from him. 'His eyes say everything.' Luna thought to herself, as she put a small smile on her face. "Don't worry about it, please."

Subaru gave a soft nod, before remembering one last thing. "What were you looking at anyway? You seemed to keep looking off my direction..."

Luna felt her face begin to change it's color again out of embarrassment, but also felt relieved, after all, the boy didn't realize she was actually looking at him, but thought she was looking behind him. Nothing, I was just bored."

"Maybe she was just staring at you." War Rock suddenly interrupted.

Luna felt her face go bright red as Subaru began to argue that he doubted it to War Rock. "Why would I even look at Hoshikawa-kun?!" Luna snapped.

"Well, that's easy to answer. It's beca--"

"War Rock! I told you to stop assuming things."

War Rock let out an annoyed sigh, as he shushed. Subaru had sadly found all sorts of ways to get War Rock to stop if he really wanted too. He spent way too much time at Amachi's lab.

"I wasn't staring at you, or looking at you at all, or anything...or...or..." Luna felt her heart racing, as she tried to think of what to say. "I mean...You're...you're..."

And with that, she trailed off. 'Wonderful? Fantastic? Perfect? Sweet? Excellent?' The words went on in the girl's head, none of them being said of course. Luckily, she was saved as the doorbell rang.

"I'll get it!" Subaru said quickly as he got up. Luna sighed, she felt helpless. She wasn't supposed to even help out too much for at least a week, and that included answering the door, and similarly, she was supposed to try and keep quiet, especially with her friends, until she felt she could be completely open with someone, like Subaru. Akane was even stuck holding onto her transer... All of these were doctor's orders and she hated them greatly. However, her curiousity was piqued as she heard a familiar voice at the door, one that she hated to hear.

"Subaru-kun!" Misora exclaimed.

"What are you doing here?!" Subaru asked, a bit of anger in his voice.

"We came to visit Luna!" Kizamaro explained. "Plus, Misora-chan said she wanted to ask you something."

"Didnt the teacher explain anything to you guys?! Nobody can come over."

"Oh, come on, Subaru-kun, we're your friends! And Luna's too!" Gonta said.

"Did you not listen to the doctor at all?"

"Well, you could get rid of Luna and we could come in." Misora explained.

"I can't do that." Subaru said softly. "You should know that if you paid attention."

"Well, if it wasn't for the doctor's orders, would you still be like this?"

"I...I..." Subaru posed, he never really thought about it. "If she wanted, probably."

"Yeah, like hell you would, Subaru-kun."

"Misora, I'm sorry, but I can't. I'm sorry to you two as well." Subaru began to close the door, as Misora stopped him.

"Subaru-kun! But what about my concert tomorrow?! Remember that? You promised you would come!"

"Well, I can't, obviously. Sorry, Misora-chan. See you when I can." And with that, he shut the door and locked it, hoping they'd just go without much more trouble. Though, he was more worried about Misora using Harp to get into his room again to surprise him. Not really fun.

Subaru headed to the kitchen, but noticed Luna was nowhere in sight. The microwave had finished the meals at the least, but she hadn't removed them. Heading down the hall way, he wondered if he heard Misora's question, only for it to be confirmed when he saw a note on the door.

"I'm sorry for being a burden. Please finish today's school lesson and lunch with me. I'm going to take a nap.
Sincerely, Luna"

He quickly began knocking on the door. "Luna-chan, please open the door! You're not any trouble, really. Everything is fine, okay?" Subaru said, hoping she'd hear it. No response, but he swore that he could hear muffled crying coming through the door.

And that's it for this chapter! Poor Luna :( She isn't as ready to take on everything as she thought.

If you want to leave a review for this story, click here! You can also read the reviews left for this story so far here.